Have you Heard the Saying, "Happy People are Productive People?"
Well according to economists it has been proven through research that there are clear links between a worker’s happiness and their productivity.
Fun at work does indeed matter! When employees are happy, they are at their best, and will lean towards positive attitudes. This in turn will lead to a happier environment, creativity, relationship building, and the time will seem to pass by faster.
When there is joy among employees, the environment at work becomes healthy. During work hours my optimism puts a smile on others’ faces, which in turn creates a very productive relationship between my co-workers and me. Happy employees tend to make the best of things, boosting motivation and goal setting. An open environment at work will also boost the ability to innovate and create new ideas, which will contribute to efficiency throughout any workplace. Building relationships at work can vary, whether it’s by having coffee with co-workers, asking questions, or telling jokes. The important thing is to create a positive attitude among others. Try it out! You will soon look forward to coming into work because the time will pass you by.
Believe it or not, workplace fun tells a lot about where you work. Fun in the workplace helps develop a positive staff culture, strong client relationships, and a boost in morale and motivation, all of which are key factors to any corporation. It means that the people within a business have positive attitudes governing their everyday work ethic and progress. By allowing fun to happen, whether it’s by planning a birthday party or having a spontaneous root beer day, employees will look forward to coming to work and getting their job done. Clients will soon notice this type of environment and will want to build a relationship with your company. In turn, such an environment will retain and attract employees.
Thanks to our President John Heaton’s dedication to making Pay Plus Benefits a fun workplace the environment, staff, and unconditional support from all our clients could not be any better!
How is Fun at Work Related to Pikes Place Market?
What comes to mind after watching this video? Fun? Entertainment?
Turns out, the fish throwing was actually an act of creativity. Their vision of the workplace was to bring a little fun and not necessarily to improve business and become famous for their entertainment of throwing fish around. It was this small idea that brought about innovative thinking. Having fun at work tells a lot about a business and the people working within. The employees at Pikes Place Market did not just fill orders; they filled people with happiness, friendliness, and enthusiasm.
Despite the hard work and long hours, these employees chose to bring amazing passion, fun and commitment to work every day, which in turn increased the productivity and customer rate.
There are some misconceptions; however, about "play at work". Many people believe that having fun at work is absolutely unacceptable and would most likely interfere with the productivity rate among employees. I think these people miss the main idea of “fun”. Having fun does not necessarily mean goofing off. It’s about staying positive, boosting motivation, and relieving stress. For example, Pikes Place Market’s positive attitude and fish throwing entertainment attract many customers and creates a fun environment for anyone who sets foot in the market. These employees are motivated each day by fulfilling customers with fun and laughter and in turn alleviate their own stress levels. If kids learn and concentrate more when they are having fun, why can’t adults? Make a class topic fun and interesting and you have fully engaged and attentive students. Similarly, if you have a fun environment then you have fully productive and focused employees. Makes sense, no?
Ideas to Help You Get Started Having More Fun
These are some things we do for fun that you might like to try out!
- Birthdays - Do you exist? Pay Plus Benefits celebrates that! At the beginning of each year we draw names for birthday buddies and take 20-30 minutes out of the day to celebrate our co-workers date of birth! In my opinion, we put Red Robin to shame!
- Baby showers – Expecting a little one? Pay Plus Benefits loves babies!
- Go cart-racing – Love a little excitement and full adrenaline rush? The employees here love to race and show our competitiveness out at the race track.
- Potlucks – Do you love to play kickball? At our company picnics we love to run around with our kids and co-workers.
- Ice-Cream fire drill – Do you love surprises? Well we do, especially when it means pulling a fake fire alarm to send employees outside for ice cream. What a great treat for a very hot day!
Decorate the Office:
- Want your station looking like a Mexican Fiesta? We bring office humor and positive attitudes to the office and one another by doing just this and other decorative themes.
Listen to Music:
- Do you concentrate with old classics like Johnny Cash? Pay Plus Benefits allows you to listen to music if it improves your focus in projects.
Personalize Work Stations:
- Do you like to make your office a home away from home? Pay Plus Benefits loves to see fun pictures and more!
At Pay Plus Benefits having fun is not an option, it’s a necessity!
We would love to hear some of the things your company does to have a little fun.